I was sent a copy of Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans (Ala Notable Children’s Books. Older Readers) by Don Brown
by Don Brown
Release Date: 2015-08-04
- Kirkus’ Best of 2015 list
- School Library Journal Best of 2015
- Publishers Weekly’s Best of 2015 list
- Horn Book Fanfare Book
- Booklist Editor’s Choice
On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina’s monstrous winds and surging water overwhelmed the protective levees around low-lying New Orleans, Louisiana. Eighty percent of the city flooded, in some places under twenty feet of water. Property damages across the Gulf Coast topped $100 billion. One thousand eight hundred and thirty-three people lost their lives. The riveting tale of this historic storm and the drowning of an American city is one of selflessness, heroism, and courage—and also of incompetence, racism, and criminality.
Don Brown’s kinetic art and as-it-happens narrative capture both the tragedy and triumph of one of the worst natural disasters in American history. A portion of the proceeds from this book has been donated to Habitat for Humanity New Orleans.
Have you read this one yet? Comment down below and let me know!
Big Thanks to HMH Books for Young Readers for sending me a copy of Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans (Ala Notable Children’s Books. Older Readers) by Don Brown!!
AND as always, big thanks to you for popping by to see what I was rambling on about. LOL
Hope you have a great week.
Just a reminder, I usually post pics of the books I get right as I get them on to my facebook page and my instagram so make sure to click over and LIKE the page and/or follow my gram – then you’ll see what books I get as I get them instead of waiting till I do a “book haul” video. I’ll still do haul videos every couple of weeks, too. So… yeah. All righty then.
- Eight Dolphins of Katrina: A True Tale of Survival by Janet Wyman Coleman
- When Mischief Came to Town by Katrina Nannestad
- Eye of the Storm: NASA, Drones, and the Race to Crack the Hurricane Code (Scientists in the Field Series) by Amy Cherrix
- Book of the Day: Unbroken
- Book of the Day: Dolley Madison Saves George Washington