Bunny’s book review of City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Buy on Amazon
By: Cassandra Clare
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Format of Review Copy: Paperback
Recommendable for people who enjoy:
Synopsis (from mortalinstruments.com ):
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it’s hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.
Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary’s mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.
But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know….
According to my reading updates, I …. LOVED IT! I read this a couple of weeks ago, along with books two and three. I bought all three thinking it was the entire series. I did not know that book 4, City of Fallen Angels, or the prequel Clockwork Angel, were coming out. So I am a little sad I don’t have the entire series. I want NEED the rest of the series!
I can’t believe this came from a debut author. This book has everything that makes a book great. Great characters, inner conflict (even a love triangle of sorts), action, drama, vampires, werewolves, and an entire slew of other demons! Not to mention, my favorite – whip wielding chicks that kick a$$! “GO ISABELLE!!!” Clare did an amazing job of creating a “world” with such descriptive expertise, that is as believable as it would have been had you been handed a photograph of it and shook the hands of the characters themselves. (in other words – WOOHOO! *fist bump*)
I don’t really want to say too much about the actual book contents, because I want YOU to read it.
I will say:
- Girl sees some weird sh**^
- weird sh** wielders are tattooed.
- said tattoos are HAWT *wink*
- Girls mom gets mom-napped
- the mom-napper is an evil douche bag
- Evil douche bag is out to “TAKE OVER THE WORLD” (said in my best Pinky & the Brain imitation)
- Hawt tattooed folks help girl try to rescue mom
- mom’s friend (read: unrequited love) is HAWT – like scruffy Ewan McGregor hawt (in my mind, he is also usually sweaty…mmmm…. oh wait, what?) lol…
- there are lots of fights with creatures that are NOT of the human variety.
- Moms friend is still hawt. (and still sweaty. yay)
- sh** happens
- Book ends
- I was left foaming at the mouth for book TWO: City of Ashes and began reading it, IMMEDIATELY
- Without question: I am “Team Simon”. =D
- Isabelle cracked me up, and is probably my favorite character of the series (well, and Magnus. Crap, I like em ALL)
- In this book: just want to hug Alec. I hated him at first. Now, I feel so sorry for him, and just want to HUG him till he pops.
In other words – READ IT! =D
This book is being adapted into a film titled “Mortal Instruments”.
My other Mortal Instruments reviews:
Please note that my posts contain affiliate links. What that means is, every time you purchase a product through one of my links, your cost will be the same but I will receive a small commission. I use this money to keep the site going, so your support is greatly appreciated!